Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Joy We Offer

Hey everyone! It's another long one. Turn back now!

It's been a phenomenal week in the area. We spent virtually our entire first week here with leaders of the ward or on the street, trying to figure out the needs of the organisations as well as finding everyone possible in between. Something that is nice about not having a car anymore is the greater opportunities to have people placed in your path as you use public transit more. Pretty sweet!

Yesterday at Missionary Leadership Council we had an awesome training on leadership. We learned some very important differences between leadership in our church and in the world. One thing we discussed was that the hallmarks of leadership in the world are charisma, strength, and intelligence. These characteristics are good, but the difference with how God calls people is that He doesn't look at these as qualifications, and will call the diligent, humble, meek, and worthy. As a person involved with leadership both in my school back home and church, it has been a source of potent growing pains at times as I have realized that I have not really possessed these attributes, but it's something we can all set out to develop.

I'm making a goal to work closely with the young men and young single adults in the ward. They're all awesome and I find it to be very normal and not forced to communicate with them, which is good. If I could help get one person on a mission who otherwise would not have wanted to, that would be worthwhile!

---The following is primarily for personal reference for me as I have thought about this a lot in the last few days. You are welcome but not obligated to read this (or any) part 😊---

Lastly, as a missionary, it is crucial in helping people to know why they should try our message out to promise them benefits in their life as a result. One of the blessings I've had the audacity to promise is lasting and constant peace and happiness in this life. "How, though", I have been asked, "is that possible, or even necessary? Everyone has bad days, and everyone has challenges. There's no way that one can constantly be happy". That is true in the sense that we don't, and can't, constantly walk around with smiles 24/7, regardless of how well we live the gospel. I am sure Jesus himself had many days where he was tormented as a result of the physical and emotional pain that surrounded and was inflicted upon him. As a missionary, who is presumably at a high point of life's spirituality, my days have also not always been great! So, where is the happiness?

In order to answer that question, we need to rethink what happiness is.

I don't believe that perfect happiness is compulsorily identified by a bright grin and skipping, though we may see it as such and may often be accompanied with these things. It is, I believe, less obvious. I don't think the wordage is all too crucial as the words are often interchangeable, but I like to think of gospel happiness as "joy" (Joy is used about three times more often than happiness in scripture). The scriptural term "fulness of joy" also comes to mind, which Christ is said to have in 3 Nephi 27:31, which is subsequently also contrasted with sorrow in verse 32. As children of God we are promised to inherit all the our Father has if we remain true, and I can't help but feel that is our destiny.

Joy for me does not necessarily mean that we will never be sad, pained, disappointed, grieved, or bogged down. God and Christ have both wept (John 11:35, Jacob 5:41, Moses 7:28) and both are and were in states of perfection and are also therefore possessing of a fullness of joy (right?). If we have joy, it is my belief that we are still capable of being sad from time to time. The difference is that there remains an inner conviction of safety and security regardless of our environment. This has proven itself true to me in the highest sense on my mission. I have not always been "happy" out here. I mean that in that I have not always had energy, and I have not always felt like going out the door. I have not always been encouraged. I have not always been smiling. I dont know if living the gospel guarantees that you will always feel these things. But I do think there is something it will always bring: I have always felt peace on my mission so long as I have magnified my calling, repented, and tried to live the gospel, and this is, in effect, the joy we offer. It is the enduring peace and conviction of hope in our souls that becomes woven  into our nature as we progress towards godliness. If we don't feel like jumping with happiness now, we can find joy in the hope of that later. We can all have this joy if we live according to the gospel of Christ.

Again, this wordage is perhaps varying among individuals. You could swap joy for peace, I would say. But let me know what you think. If you agree, disagree, whatever.

I love you guys! 

Elder Wallentine


No comments:

Post a Comment