Thursday, February 22, 2018

AUSGESCHIMPFT.

Liebe Gruesse, meine Liebe Familie und Freunde!

This has been a good week! I will keep the record short this time around, but don't worry, I will include only the most funny of experiences throughout the week.

We went on an exchange to Frankfurt this past week to work for a little bit with the assistants. We decided to go to Goethe University to sit down and have lunch, and after I got a cheap helping of university lamb, I went to sit next to a woman who seemed to be in need of the gospel. Sadly, the conversation didn't really go that well because it was like pulling teeth to get any response, but I enjoyed the meal and parts of the conversation nonetheless. Probably the best meal I have had so far at a German university cafeteria (is that saying much?).

We proceeded, after having eaten lunch, to go talk to a few people outside. I first met a Russian-Italian man who--you guessed it!--only spoke Russian and Italian. But, remember how I told you that I learned the Russian alphabet back in the day? Well, I whipped out those dusty Russian skills again as I formed a sentence with probably roughly the same coherence as the following:

"I. BOOK MORMON. GIVE YOU NOW. HELP YOU HAPPY. YES YES, VERY HAPPY. YOU AND FAMILY."
"NO THANK YOU."

He actually was very nice. He was playing football with his grandson in the middle of the university. It's a darn shame I can't speak Russian (Yet!). But, after this contact, I proceeded to have one of those "I got cursed out" experiences that you always hear about from missionaries. I approached a group of men and began a conversation, but they soon realized I was American. A short spiel followed, where they detailed the many things we have done for the past many years that have influenced them, and then told me to get lost. However, it was not just 'get lost', but 'get lost' sandwiched with literally dozens of expletives, which were shouted at me until I got about fifty meters away. That was the first time I have been yelled at like that on my mission. Actually, I am astonished that it took so long for that to happen!

Aside from that, it has been a really good week. The people we have found are AWESOME and super, super open. It is really cool to see and we are meeting with lots of people. The problem remains, however, of who is going to actually make progress. We will see, and hope, and pray that we find some genuine seekers that will listen to more than just the first two lessons.

I am working hard, I am being obedient, and I am ex
hausted! All things that make for a good mission, right?

Thank you so much for the early birthday wishes! I appreciate the love and support that has been sent. Here's to the second weirdest birthday of my life!

I love you all!

Love,

Elder Wallentine

*Here is a picture of an awesome new convert family I visited on my split!


No comments:

Post a Comment