Thursday, March 1, 2018

TRY

Hey!

I found out that I officially am within the final 100 days of my mission. Weird, eh?

This week has been great! We have found several new investigators, including a really awesome man from China named Yan. He doesn't believe in much, but he seems to have the desire and has said that he will try to find an answer. We also had two fellowshippers, who bore awesome testimonies. The spirit was definitely there in the lesson!

We have been blessed to find multiple new people this week. The people we are finding are also somewhat promising, which is a blessing as well!

I studied a little bit about obedience this week, as well as the general theme of purification and dedication to God. In so doing, I was lead to 1 Thessalonians 2, which has a particularly powerful bunch of verses. It says:

3 For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile:
4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
5 For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloak of covetousness; God is witness:
6 Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ.
7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:
11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

I guess it would be possible for me to go throughout my entire mission and not end up baptizing anyone. I could also possibly be shut down by every person I talk to for the rest of my time here. People could revile me, cast me out, reject me and the message, and ignore me. I could be screamed at, clawed at, attacked by eggs, whatever it may be, and generally cast away. Regardless of whether or not these things happen, there is one thing that I want abundantly clear at the end of my mission and life at large:

That I tried

I have said it before and I will say it again: I have no control over the reactions of other people, but I do have control over how I answer to their reactions. Do I give up, lose my temper, become discouraged, and give up trying to live according to the standards set? No. I will not be asked how many people listened to me, nor will I be asked how many people I baptized. I am not to be held accountable for the decisions of others. Rather, I will probably be asked how I magnified my own efforts to help. I think the absolute greatest thing that I could be able to say was that I did what I could by being obedient, working hard, inviting everyone possible, and building my faith along the way. This has been engraved upon me for quite some time and I am will continue therewith!

And, as I have given my best, God has been abundantly merciful in blessing me with success. Both on a day to day basis and with the occasional "great" miracles, I cannot say that I have missed out. I am so grateful for that and I know we will keep seeing miracles as we press onward with steadfastness and faith! I have a testimony of that and experience to prove its truthfulness to me.

Thanks everyone! You're great and I love you all!

Elder Wallentine

No comments:

Post a Comment