Thursday, November 30, 2017

IT IS AN OLD TESTAMENT THOUGHT

Hey guys!

It has been an awesome week.  We have been working with some really cool investigators, including two from China who are progressing really well.  We have become good friends with them and they seem to have some strong, sincere desire.  Also, a good friend of mine from Kaiserslautern, Tensor, got baptized, and I cheered when I heard it!  It is nice to see someone that I found be baptized because that has given me a huge motivation boost to contact more.  

We had an awesome time last P-Day evening because some members fed us THANKSGIVING DINNER.  It was sweet.  I was so grateful to be able to feel so close to home on that day.  It certainly beats the heck out of having a microwave lasagna with old stuffing (last year)!

We also did a hot chocolate street display.  It was fun and we did find some people.  It also boosted our spirits to carry out the church‘s new Christmas initiative this Christmas.  However, I also feel that it would have been better to just do a regular street display and just focus on finding new people through sharing the main messages of the church, because we didn’t find nearly as many through simply pushing the initiative.  However, I think it was more impressionable and positive for the people we talked to, whether or not they had interest, because I am sure there were some who otherwise wouldn’t have listened.

IT‘S A SPIRITUAL THOUGHT FROM THE O.T.:
I don’t expect you to read this. Do so if you will.

I have recently had the chance to study some of the "Wisdom Books" and other writings of the Old Testament, namely Psalms, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes.  I must say that I have been surprised by how much power these books have contained, and the help that they have been to develop my testimony of God and Christ.  Right now, I am reading Isaiah, which has been wonderful, but I figured that I could share an insight or two with you from Ecclesiastes.
Ecclesiastes is an interesting book so far because of the different tone that it seems to take which is different from many other books in the Bible.  Especially so if read from a worldly perspective, the preacher-author has a seemingly lamenting tone, proclaiming the fleetingness of labor and experiences in our mortal lives.  For example, he writes concerning death the following:
"Then said I in my heart, as it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity [fleeting]. For there is no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? As the fool." (2:15-16).  
One could initially read this book and interpret them as though the writer is saying that nothing ultimately matters, as all is vanity and fleeting. This assumption can be drawn through perhaps multiple parts of the book. However, the true purpose and belief of the preacher is revealed in the final chapter of the book.  He writes about death:
"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it (...) Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil."
From my reading, I believe that the preacher writes in a pessimistic-sounding tone to emphasize that those things with which men most often occupy themselves are fleeting, specifically the pursuits of wealth, power, admiration of others, and peace as the world defines it.  Indeed will these things cease to exist beyond the grave.  God will not judge us for our financial or social success, but rather for the thoughts and intents of our hearts, and the works and potential we accomplished and achieved.  Wisdom, on the other hand, remains with us.  Wisdom is seen in this point of the Bible as righteousness combined with knowledge--and to be wise is the notion that one not only knows much, but lives based off of that truth which he has learned and is morally straight.  The scriptures teach that “whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life [will] rise with us in the resurrection.“ (D&C 130:18), and so as sure as we will be judged by our earthly actions, so will we retain the knowledge of our righteousness and wickedness, and so will we still remember that which we have learned through both secular and religious education.
Anyways, this is a long letter.  I am particularly enjoying my studies right now because I feel I am getting more insights than ever before, from both the Book of Mormon and Bible.  I think the two things that I got from this short analysis is that:
  1. In a world full of distractions it is dire to seek after the things which will not perish at the end of our mortality
  2. ‘‘Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.“ (Proverbs 4:7)
Thanks for playing!  Love you guys!

Have a great Christmas season!

Love,
Elder Wallentine






No comments:

Post a Comment