Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Work Goes On

Hey guys!

This week has been good!  We have found a bunch of new investigators, which has been awesome, and this has probably been one of the busiest times of my mission so far in terms of the lessons we've been having.  I am hoping to continue onward with this and increasing those numbers.  I don't feel discouraged any more, which I admit I felt a little bit of that in my last letter.
  
We don't have anyone on the roster who has baptismal dates now, so the biggest thing we're doing (and the biggest thing we really can do) is trying to meet with as many people as we can.  We've been continuing to extend invitations to baptism, but we will see if anyone accepts.  In the meantime we will be working with those we already have to help them develop their testimonies unto baptism.

I saw perhaps the most majestic thing the other day.  I was speaking with two old guys on the street who, although in the end were not interested in learning more, were very friendly.  Then, ALL OF THE SUDDEN, I felt a brisk wind pass swiftly by us.  I turned around and saw a man in a wheelchair--BUT, not just any wheel chair.  He was moving much faster than any man I'd ever seen on one.  Upon further inspection, we found that his wheelchair was indeed motorized, and he was going a solid 20 mph with it.  Not only that, but in spite of the cobblestone he was riding on, he was driving perfectly smoothly--no shaking or anything, just gracefully driving--no, gliding, by.  And that was that, he flew by--he spoke not a word; he made hardly a sound.  I don't know where he is now, and heck, I don't know if anyone truly does.  But I believe he is goin' places, and that as we speak, he continues to glide across the nation of Germany.

FRIENDLY REMINDER THAT GENERAL CONFERENCE IS THIS WEEK.

LONGER-THAN-EXPECTED SPIRITUAL THOUGHT:

In the Book of Mormon, we read in chapter five of Helaman the story of two missionaries, Nephi and Lehi, going to preach the gospel to the Lamanites in hostile territory.  They were taken by a Lamanite army, who then threw them in prison for many days.  Following that, Lamanites entered in unto the two men to put them to death, but seemed to be astonished when they saw that the two missionaries were surrounded by fire, yet that they stood among it remaining unscathed.  Seeing this as a perfect opportunity to teach, Lehi and Nephi began to testify of God's power.  The prison shook around them, yet did not fall, and about three hundred people were surrounded by a cloud of darkness.
  
These people were, in the situation they were in, disturbed as they remained in this cloud of darkness as they found that they were in it.  Desiring it to be removed, they asked: 
"What shall we do, that this cloud of darkness may be removed from overshadowing us?"
  
The reply they received was as follows: 

"You must repent, and cry unto the voice, even until ye shall have faith in Christ, [...] and when ye shall do this, the cloud of darkness shall be removed from overshadowing you."
These people, afflicted by the thick vapor of darkness round about them, cried unto Christ to be saved from it and forgiven.  As they did, the vapor dispelled and they were, like Nephi and Lehi, surrounded by fire, and "filled with that joy which is unspeakable and full of glory."  
When I read this story, I thought of two things.  I will start by sharing that which is most applicable to you all.  I think of a talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, The Hope of God's Light, where he says the following:

"It is part of our condition as mortal beings to sometimes feel as though we are surrounded by darkness.

"But even though we may feel lost in the midst of our current circumstances, God promises the hope of His light--He promises to illuminate the way before us and show us the way out of darkness."  The question of how he fulfills this promise is clearly illuminated in this scripture from Helaman 5, and all scripture for that matter: RELY ON THE ATONEMENT OF CHRIST.  Christ has suffered for us so that we may be saved from the vapor of darkness that often traps us along with so much of the world.  We must learn to believe and accept His Atonement as a real power that applies in whole to us--you, me, and our brothers and sisters on the earth.  All will be made right after this life, and we can find peace in this life and eternal joy in the life to come if we choose to make Christ our foundation in all things--something you read about right before in Helaman 5:12.

This week, I have had a few personal experiences that have helped me to realize out of prayer that the Atonement truly is a power that we have the ability to access out of our own faith and reliance on Christ.  I am so glad to be making the realization for myself and that I can feel my experiences on my mission growing my testimony in Christ.  I know that through Him, we will experience a joy beyond comprehension.  I'm grateful for that and the chance that I have to share this message with others.

That was a lot of writing.  I won't explain the second part I enjoyed from this scripture until perhaps sometime in the future.

Thanks for the love and support I have been receiving!  I am very grateful for all of you and love you much.

Love,

Elder Wallentine 




We had to walk 7 kilometers home this week from a fallen out appointment and saw some nice German countryside when my companion insisted that we take a selfie.




I guess some guy found above image in space.  HMMM.   

No comments:

Post a Comment