Monday, January 9, 2017

What Do I Title This?

Hey guys!

This week has been really good!  First off, I will say plainly that we were not able to hit our goal.  I did try and talk to everyone I could, but people just weren't super open this week in that particular field of work.  We ended up only hitting 10.

I will attribute this, however, to the fact that we were too busy teaching lessons!  We've had a bunch and have been very busy this week with those.  For this reason, I am very satisfied with the work that we did, even if we just scraped by with potentials.  My companion says this is the most he's ever taught in a week here, and we hope to make this a more constant thing!  I look forward to this week.  We don't have a whole lot of lessons scheduled as of yet, but I will be making calls and we'll be going by on people to try and get some scheduled!

I have lots of hopes for some of these people.  Jonathan, one of the guys we met with, really wants to be baptized.  If he lived closer, he really would.  The problem is that he lives fifty kilometers away from our church building, and it's a bit of a stretch for him to come.  A few things are looking up.  First off, a big problem he has had is his work, being on Sundays, but he has recently quit and will now be available.  Secondly, he does have a car, and is only hesitant to drive it through the snow.  But I think if his desire is true, we will be able to help him find a way to get him to church.  We're meeting with him again this week, and I think an official baptismal date is within reach.  I'm praying that it works out!

We also met with a certain man named Sabrowski, whom we met on the street, and his father.  We taught the Restoration lesson and it was going great.  I thought it was, really.  But then we introduced the Book of Mormon and at this point the father informed us he was not aware that we were the Mormons.  They seemed open to another lesson, kind of...but I'm also pretty sure that the father told us "thanks for using our time" in the way out.  We'll see.  We met with another man, named Mike, and he says he knows that Joseph Smith is a prophet, and that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.  When we asked him about baptism, though, it appears that he still fears that he would be making the wrong decision before God.  He invited him to pray and ponder about it, thinking about if God would want him to pursue this path, but he hasn't gotten a specific inclination yet. 

I'll be keeping you guys in touch as to what happens with all these wonderful people.  The work is picking up, though.  I'm loving it.  I ask for your prayers to help things keep growing and picking up.  Our goal for this week is to establish two baptismal dates.  It's definitely possible, but a stretch.  I think we can do it, though!

I have had a WONDERFUL study this week.  First off, I've read through 3 Nephi and finished it today.  Then, I've started the Doctrine and Covenants again and have been reading that in the evenings and around dinner and lunch time.  I've also done a bit of New Testament study, reading in the Acts and the Romans.  But I really feel that I've learned a bit more about the Savior this week.  I love the Doctrine and Covenants, because it is direct in so many differing ways: It's direct revelation for us, and our church, in these days.  It's direct in the sense that almost all of the words that are written in as revelations are words given directly from The Lord himself in leading His church.  Building on these as well, we see the actually flawless directness and honesty of the Lord in leading His servants, yet also see His love and abiding care to those who receive follow Him and do His will.  
With this being said, I will share one of my favorite parts of D&C:  It is in sections 18 and 19.  These sections focus heavily on repentance.  Here are some of my favorite verses from them:
18:
10 Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;
11 For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.
12 And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance.
13 And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth!
19:
15 Therefore I command you to repent--repent, lest I smite you by the rod of my mouth, and by my wrath, and by my anger, and your sufferings be sore--how sore you know not, how exquisite you know not, yea, how hard to bear you know not.
16 For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;
17 But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
18 Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit--and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink--
19 Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men.

These verses, I hope, cause us to pain at the thought of having Christ suffer for our sins, and us not appreciating His, in all reality, frighteningly-deep sacrifice.  He has suffered for us to receive such glorious joy, as spoken of in section 18!  But, likewise, we must realize what is at stake and what we're dealing with if we ignore His sacrifice, as spoken of so intimately by Christ Himself in section 19.  

I am so grateful for Christ.  I'm grateful that he has sacrificed so much for us.  I am grateful that He accepted this task and carried it out so humbly and loyally, for the salvation of all of our souls.  I know that He lives and that He is our Savior, Redeemer, and King, and that He will come again.

I love you all and I thank you for your support!  Please keep my Investigators in your prayers!

Love,
Elder Wallentine 

Ps Here's a video from the good old days and yes, we are allowed to send home videos in this mission.



No comments:

Post a Comment