Monday, January 16, 2017

Creative Contacts, Train Tussles, and Wacky Weeks: Volume I

Hey folks!  Also, "folks" is derived from the German word "volk"!  Add that to your list of trivial facts!

This week has been absolutely fantastic!  We've been having more and more lessons and have been finding more and more people.  We had a few really cool lessons with people we've been meeting.  One of them is a man who is studying at the university here in Bayreuth.  We got an appointment established while tracting and taught him The Restoration.  I think that was one of the most spiritual lessons I've had in my mission so far.  He comes from India and is a pretty firm in his religion, but I have high hopes notwithstanding his pre-existing belief.  We are searching to add to the truths he knows, as should the case always be, rather than take his faith away.  We got another appointment set, so I am anticipating that!  We also met a man from Egypt, and have taught him twice.  He is also very religious in his faith, but is currently progressing by reading, praying, and even coming to church, too!  I think he will find the truth if he continues doing this with real intent. 

I am trying to kick up my Contacting skills and efforts due to a situation that will be described shortly hereafter.  The contact-of-the-week for this week was when we were crossing a bridge and I saw someone crossing underneath.  It was at night and so there weren't very many people out and this person was the first one we saw in several minutes.  I left the bridge and clumsily used my frictionless shoes to slide down the snow on the side of the hill underneath to talk to them...   ...they weren't interested :(

Remember that goal of twenty potential investigators we set?  Hahaha, about that.  This week started out well and we were getting a pretty good amount of potentials per day.  Then, we had a split with Elder Evans, one of the Assistants to the President here.  That was pretty humbling.  I thought that I was decent at contacting before, but I don't think I can hold a candle to him.  We learned a bunch from him about contacting, because he is definitely the most energetic and smart missionary I've met on my mission when it comes to contacting.  While on our split, we got about nine potentials.  We've then continued to experience great success as we have tried to apply what we've learned, and by the end of the week, we had gotten a total of 34 potentials!  We've gotten a bunch of appointments set and I really think that there are some golden people in this bunch!

The question then comes into play of how we can keep things going, and not just settle for a burst of success in this particular week.  I've been trying to adjust my strategies to be more effective with contacting, and anything else that I've noticed, really, and that has caused me some stress.  But I know that it's helping a bunch.  My last district leader told me that there's no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone (inspirational quote that you put on a vague picture of a beach or starry sky [there goes my broken sense of humor again]), and I think that is quite right.  I think I just need to keep working on improving always and then asking God to grant me the energy to keep the pace up.  I think that when we do all we can do and show the Lord that we are putting in our effort, He will consistently reach down, make up for our flaws and fill in the gaps that are caused by our often mortal infirmities.

Also, I finished the Book of Mormon again this week!  I finished the institute manual as well, and this has been a really awesome read-through!  Time to start again!

As I've been writing this, I've thought about the importance of whole-heartedness in the things you do, both in serving the Lord and everything else you do that is good.  I've also thought about the dangers of complacency in these such things.  I've noticed that at times, I have become complacent in certain things as a missionary--namely with contacting.  These are the times that not only prove to be the least fruitful, but the least enjoyable as well (for me, and probably for the people I talk with, too!).  Likewise, if I pray using only words and no feeling of heart, I do not feel invigorated or strengthened as I do when I pray with more intent.  I would expect any other callings or careers accepted with lack of enthusiasm generate similar feelings.  In the Book of Mormon, we read many times about the pride cycle, all of which seeming to start with pride, which begins, I think at least partially, due to complacency to the truth that has blessed the lives of so many people beforehand.  We may even, sadly, observe this on individual levels when people stop caring about doing the important things to strengthen their faith, and often without realizing, find themselves on the road to loss of testimony and even personal apostasy.  I could go on for ages about different depressing examples, but I think that I've had my fill.  The point is that we need to really realize the importance of the things we do, both in this life and the eternities.  This is easier typed than done, and forgive me for typing so much, but I know that when we find ways to take enthusiasm and joy and energy into the good things we do in life, we will find that our lives become brighter, happier, and more meaningful as a result.  It also is important for us as missionaries to note that people probably aren't going to trust that our message can and will fill our hearts with joy if we ourselves are not allowing such a message to bring us said blessings.

All in all, I am so grateful for this time I've had here in Bayreuth, and Germany in general.  The Lord is good!  When I have knocked, He has opened.  When I have asked, He has given!  The promise at the end of D&C 4 is true and I hope I can always remember that, as well as all of us!

ADD-IN:  Today we got on the wrong train on the way to Nürnberg and I got in a conversation with a very firmly religious man.  One thing led to another and I had three people on the train, including the man, pretty boldly accusing me of trying to destroy their faith or to force them to believe in something they didn't want to, both of which are completely false accusations.  Probably the most interesting train contact I've had.  I learned we have to always be careful not to get into bashing situations because that's not what we're here to do.

Thanks for taking the time to humor me by reading my letters!  I hope you understand that writing in English is the only thing that keeps my grammar alive as I try to cram my mind with all the German rules and vocabulary!  Also one of these days, I could write an email in English using only German grammar rules.  Give me notice, if you interest on that have, because I very happy would be, that to do.  I have love for you guys!  That is all, that I say would like to!  I know, that that very excruciating to read would be, but I find it somewhat entertaining, right now like such to type.  Also, count you your blessings, because this not nearly as genuinely frightening as Japanese grammar is.

-Elder Wallentine


Also, one day I want to get to the point where I can paint satisfactory Book of Mormon paintings.  Not here yet, but here's a drawing I made:

Also, nice picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment