Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Infinite Love of God!

Hey folks!

This week has been AWESOME!  We have been seeing so many more cool things happening, and it is making me lose my marbles!  The first of which was that one of our investigators, Johannes, has told us that he is focusing on being baptized on the 18th of November.  There is nothing right now that will be holding him back from being baptized on that date.  He is repentant, coming to church, and becoming increasingly converted.  We are focusing right now on helping the members bring him in with love and open arms.  If he can feel welcome, I think he will make it for sure.  He is an awesome man.  However, as we may have seen in the past, things can happen before people are baptized that will try to drive them away.  If you can keep him in your prayers, please do so, because we need, and he needs, all the help possible!

We also met with an investigator around the same area, who has said that she has received a spiritual confirmation through a movie that the Book of Mormon is true, which I find really awesome.  She said she received the answer while watching ''God Is Not Dead'', which I actually haven't seen.  But yeah, she said that she felt that she needed to read in the Book of Mormon while watching the movie, and when she began to read she said she felt ''mega good''!  Although it is subtle, I can't help but know that that was the same feeling I felt as I got my own answer.  We have told her and testified that it truly was an answer, and plan to emphasize that fully this coming Saturday.  Stay tuned!

I feel like writing about something about which there seems to be a lot of disagreement.  In fact, Elder D. Todd Christofferson gave a talk about this particular topic in General Conference in October 2016, titled : ''Abide in My Love''  I would recommend this talk for any person who has confusion on the following matter because he clarifies it really well. 

The confusion to which I refer is concerning the meaning the word ''love'' when we speak about God's form of it.  I believe it is first important to say emphatically YES: God loves us!  In fact, His love is truly perfect and immaculate.  He is perfectly fair and knows each of us perfectly as our Eternal Father.  He has observed us through the ions of time and has rejoiced in seeing us grow.  He does not stop to rejoice as we continue our sojourning on the earth in this time in righteous ways.  Because God loves us perfectly, He has provided us with His Son Jesus Christ, that we may have joy and peace, as well as freedom and salvation from our own spiritually-fatal flaws and sins which we all make.  Through His Son, whom the Father has provided, we are given the incomprehensibly powerful gift of redemption, both from the heavy chains of spiritual death, or sin, and the weight of physical death.  Again, we all must face these two things throughout our life as a result of being here as mortals.  However, we are able to find redemption from them. 
 
God's love makes Him desire the best for us.  What is the best?  Eternal life.  Eternal life is the life that our Father now possesses, and it is the opportunity to eternally progress and receive a fullness of joy and godly perfection. God's plan, and God's love are those things which allow us to return to him.
So, let me emphasize again that it cannot be emphasized enough how much God loves us.  His love will always be there for the most righteous and the most wicked of people.  Nobody sins so much that they are beyond His reach.

Here is the problem though: Many people associate this love with ignoring of flaws, unwarranted forgiveness of sin and rebellion, or allowance of violations against both God's commandments and the laws of the universe.  Some reason: If God loves me, then he will accept me for who I am, and will understand that a sinner is who I am and who I will be.  Though this isn't always said out-loud, there is a whiff of ''I can do whatever I want, because God loves me and will forgive me.''

This, however, is not accurate when we understand the difference between God's love and God's ability to bless us, including with the gift of eternal life.  God's love is there, and will always be there, for those who sin.  This means that those who repent and come unto Him through the mercy of His son, Jesus Christ, will be forgiven and redeemed, because that is the glory of His love.  However, His ability to bless us is conditional based upon our own righteousness.  When we sin, we forfeit blessings, and often times a number of them.  We lose the companionship of the Holy Ghost, and our ability to feel God's love is diminished.  If we continue in sin, we lose the ability to feel God's love, and His blessings are lost.

If we continue through life, dwelling in sin, refusing to change or repent, and rebelling against God in this sense, we may find out that we lose His greatest blessing: Eternal life. However, that is not to judge any particular person, because in the end, God is the judge.  If someone is prohibited from receiving such a gift, I can only assume that it breaks God's heart, and that He has true sorrow over it. But His love is there. One is only prohibited from the blessings of it because of his own rebellion.  
I hope that this makes sense.  I do not have much time today.  It is also a better use of time for you to read Elder Christofferson's talk over this because he took more time to explain and is an educated prophet and a great man much smarter than I am.  But I bear testimony that God's love is there for us, and if we do not feel it, it is not because He has lost it, but because we have driven it out of ourselves.  In this case, we must ask ourselves:  What have I done to drive it out of my heart, and what must I now do to receive it and its contained blessings?  If we answer these correctly and follow them, I know that we will receive all the blessings He has for us as we strive forward continually.  

Also, Elder Sabin came to the mission this week, and talked to us.  It was AWESOME.  I will share more experiences about it next time around.

Love you guys!

Elder Wallentine

No comments:

Post a Comment