Thursday, February 23, 2017

NINETEEEEN...?

Hey folks!
 
This week has definitely had its ups and downs.  We met with Emmanuel last Friday and talked to him a little bit about his baptism.  We found out that his living situation for the time being will not permit him to be baptized.  My heart was pretty broken for a bit, but things could be a lot worse! He didn't tell us he wanted to stop investigating, and on the contrary, has shown that he is willing to sacrifice to meet qualifications for baptism. We've invited him to fasting and he HAS been doing it since, as well as has been praying to be enabled for baptism.  I truly am confident we can help his situation change.  We read in 1 Nephi chapter 3 that the Lord will not give any person a commandment, save he shall provide a way that they may accomplish the thing which he has commanded them to do.  Baptism is a commandment. Emmanuel has faith necessary and has repented to meet those requirements. We prayed with him yesterday and I asked for a miracle to be performed, and I got a powerfully peaceful feeling from the spirit that things will work out.  I know that this experience will prove to test and ultimately strengthen Emmanuel's faith, and we will find something out. Whether he is baptized while I'm here or not, is unknown and irrelevant to me at this point, but I am continuing to hope and pray and fast that we can see a miracle.
Bravedo is progressing beautifully, but says he doesn't quite feel ready for baptism on the 25th. We will have to reschedule it to March most likely. But I am confident he will also be brought into the waters.
 
In other news, we are continuing to work diligently to find potentials. Even if I end this transfer without baptisms, I think that I will be satisfied with what I've done. We have spent many miles on our shoes solely street contacting and tearing things up in that department. I'm actually starting to think that people have started to recognize us more and more. We got kicked off a bus the other day because the driver told us that we were, not his exact words, but essentially proselyting too much when we would ride from our apartment to the train station. Couldn't help but feel a little proud of that. Also a bummer that we can't contact on the 303 bus to Seulblitz anymore.
 
Oh, right, and I turn 19 tomorrow, which is a little odd. It's weird to be beginning the year where none of you will actually know what I am like from first-hand encounters. You guys will never see the 19 year old me in person. As far as you are concerned, I will be jumping straight to 20 when I come home. Anyways, though, I hope that I can be a better person at the end of this year or my life than right now. I don't know what personality changes await me. But hey, if there is anything to be happy about, at least I'm not the 14 year old me, because he was the WORST (just kidding [am I, though?]).
 
I am continuing to read away at the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants.  Really interesting readings from the D&C now.  In section 101, we read the revelation which concerned major persecution to the members of the church in Missouri.  The Lord gave the members a very bold commandment, that they should react peacefully to the increasingly costly persecutions (located in section 98) by those who opposed the church.  The Lord then speaks later in S.101 about lawfully dealing with the persecution and upholding the law or the land, or in this case, the Constitution:
 

76 And again I say unto you, those who have been scattered by their enemies, it is my will that they should continue to importune for redress, and redemption, by the hands of those who are placed as rulers and are in authority over you--
77 According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles;
78 That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.
79 Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.
80 And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.
 
Short rant about the founding fathers, first:
I've written about this in the past, but it fills my spirit with joy when I read and study about the foundations of the U.S..  Without a doubt, the hand of the Lord was present all throughout it.  Even though the Saints experienced fierce persecution, even to the driving of them westward at the expense of thousands of lives, I can say without a doubt that Thomas Jefferson and other founders were inspired men who were sent to earth by God at a time they were needed, that they were sent with the divine purpose of establishing a free nation that would foster an environment where the restored church and gospel could be planted.  It is clear that the Lord did not spare much time after the establishment of the U.S. as a sovereign republic that He sent Joseph Smith to be born in 1805 to restore His church 25 years later. 
 
Reading about the persecution that occurred after the church's establishment certainly solidifies this idea that the Lord established His church as soon as it was possible. As soon as it was easy? No. But in the country that allowed religious freedom, regardless of lawless men within who were lead by Satan to attempt and thwart God's Plan, the soil was just swell enough to plant the seeds of the restored gospel, and the gospel spreads ever-larger today.
 
I am simply grateful to be a citizen of a nation that has a divinely-inspired Constitution that allows all men who live within to exercise that fundamental gift of agency that has been given in our eternal conditions.
 
Anywho.  I appreciate the very kindhearted birthday wishes I have received.  Thank you for the prayers and support.  Love you all.
 
Love,
Elder Wallentine
 

No comments:

Post a Comment