Thursday, February 16, 2017

I VISITED AMERICA

Hey guys!

This week has been good!  We had our baptismal interview with Emmanuel on Wednesday, and he is on track to be baptized in the 25th.  There are a few concerns that we have that could potentially delay it, but for now, he will make it if he keeps doing what he is doing!  I am EXCITED, but increasingly nervous that Satan is going to try and throw things in the way as a "final gambit".  Through fasting and prayer, though, I am confident that we can get him baptized.  We met with Bravedo last weekend and he explained to us that he does believe that the Book of Mormon is true but he is hoping to have a little more time to carefully decide on his proceeding to baptism.  We will be working to help him know what it exactly means for him personally to know that the Book is true.  And hey hey hey, we got another date set with a man named Sascha!  It is a goal for now but we are meeting with him later today and will continue to help him gain a testimony!  We will see how that goes!

I truly am ecstatic to see the work pay off, though.  I've been exerting a whole lot of energy to this area, and we are getting it back on its feet.  I know that God is watching over us and I hope that I can be continually improving to step aside and let Him guide His work.  I love Bayreuth so much though.  It is OVERFLOWING with awesome prepared people and we're just barely tapping into only a little bit of its potential.

I went on a split this week!  I went to our district leader's area in Grafenwöhr, which includes an American Army base.  The ward there is a decent size due to all the soldiers and their families.  We got to go on base twice for meal appointments and it's one of the greatest feelings to hear AMERICAN accents, whether they be from Utah or New York.  We got to go to the commissary, which is where you go to buy all the American food.  Pop-Tarts, Creme Soda, Starbursts, all that sorts of stuff FLOWING OFF THE SHELVES.  I was actually on the verge of shedding a tear at the sight of it.  But, I withheld on buying anything because you need a military ID to purchase items from there.  Some day...Also, all the Americans here are so darn nice, members or not.  I love it.  But alas, I had to return to Germany at some point--back to the land of Bratwurst and Sauerkraut (not actually a bad thing).

Anywho, I've been reading vigorously through Doctrine and Covenants, and I've finished the sections of about 50 through 84 in the last few weeks.  Boy, there is a lot of interesting doctrine in there.  I would invite you all to carry out your own personal Study of the Doctrine and Covenants (for me preferably accompanied by the church Institute manual and Revelations in Context, which can be found in the church history section in Gospel Library).  I will just share a part of what I read about the Priesthood, explained in D&C 84.  Verses 19 and 20 read as follows:

19 And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God.
20 Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest.

I am grateful for the Priesthood authority that has again been restored to the Earth.  It is truly remarkable that all people, if righteous and faithful, can experience the blessings of the Priesthood and its ordinances.  We have the same power that God used and continues to use to create WORLDS on the Earth today, because he has granted it unto us. Because of the Priesthood, we can receive guidance from His servants the prophets, and other church leaders.  We do not have to live in spiritual darkness or confusion!

President Joseph Fielding Smith said as well: “It is impossible for men to obtain the knowledge or the mysteries of the kingdom or the knowledge of God, without the authority of the Priesthood. Secular learning, the study of the sciences, arts and history, will not reveal these vital truths to man. It is the Holy Priesthood that unlocks the door to heaven and reveals to man the mysteries of the Kingdom of God. It is this Divine Authority which makes known the knowledge of God! Is there any wonder that the world today is groping in gross darkness concerning God and the things of his kingdom? We should also remember that these great truths are not made known even to members of the Church unless they place their lives in harmony with the law on which these blessings are predicated."

I hope that you guys are all having fantastic lives back home. Thanks for the support and I ask you for your help further in praying for our investigators.

Love,

Elder Wallentine 


No comments:

Post a Comment