Monday, September 26, 2016

Heya folks!

This has been a pretty good week!  Actually, logistically, it's been luke-warm.  But I feel great!  I'll elaborate on both throughout this letter.  Also, I just finished my first transfer, and will be staying for another as I'm getting trained in Oberhausen and Mülheim!

The week was off to an interesting start by us going to Köln on preparation day.  That was certainly one of the coolest things I've seen since I've gotten here.  Beautiful city!  We stayed there for several hours before heading back to Oberhausen.  Then, we got a call from a couple of the brothers in our ward.  An older man, who wasn't a member, had been sent to the hospital, and they said that his life was in critical condition and we were asked to give him a blessing by one family member who happened to be a member.  We did, and then we waited in the room for a while.  For about ten minutes we stood in silence, then my companion got a prompting to have everyone sing a song.  We sang "I am a Child of God" and "Come Come Ye Saints."  The spirit filled the room.  The family members in the room who weren't members seemed to be very distraught when we came in, and tears rolled down some of their faces through the songs, but I believe that the prompting came because the songs would help to comfort the family.  It felt that it did.

The majority of the week was a little slow though.  We had most of our investigator appointments fall through and ended up with only two investigator lessons by the end of the week...both of which happened in the same night...in the same house, actually.  We met with our investigator Louis to teach him Chastity and the Word of Wisdom.  He accepted the commitment to follow both, and he's closer to being ready for baptism on the 12th of November!  He will be able to start attending church this Sunday...which means the first time he comes will be GENERAL CONFERENCE.  I really hope that gets him pumped about the gospel.  But anyways, we had a good lesson there and closed it, then when we did, his sister's boyfriend who was in the other room came out and told us that he liked what we had to say about chastity and abstaining from alcohol/tobacco, but he wanted us to explain where in the Bible it states not to drink coffee or tea.  At that point, we started the Restoration discussion with him, and he was pretty on board.  But then we tried explaining the apostasy, and that's where we hit a roadblock.  That, and modern prophets, seemed to disagree with his views a bit and our lesson progress halted.  He told us he was interested in talking more.  We'll return to him, and do our best to open the door to him about the reality of modern day prophets.  So that was cool, but I don't know if he'll be very open for the time being.  We have a good lineup this week for lessons provided they don't all fall through again.  Hoping to improve on what we had last week.

The week really turned around on Saturday.  The sisters in our district got a baptism with a Middle-Eastern man.  He'd actually been waiting for about six months, but had to wait to be baptized until he got a long term Visa (Middle Eastern immigrants are required to have long term residency authorizations prior to baptism because if they join the church, then have to get sent back to their home countries, it could threaten their lives.).   I've known him for a few weeks, and it was just very cool to see his desire be fulfilled.  He was one of the happiest people I've seen in a while.  The spirit was there so strongly, and he was crying tears of joy the whole time.

On Sunday the next day, I talked to a man in our ward who was baptized in July.  His name is Steven.  I wasn't there when the missionaries met him, but I've heard from him and the missionaries about how broken he felt in his life before finding the gospel.  The only Steven I have known is a very happy, and goofy, guy who is satisfied with everything, even if things go wrong, but I hear that his life was much darker before.  It's really great to have gotten to know him.

So these are a few of the experiences I've had this week, and I've managed to piece them all together.  The baptism on Saturday and my talks with Steven on Sunday have made me realize further what a blessing the gospel truly can be for people.  These guys are some of the happiest people I know.  My heart swelled so much for both of them when I began to comprehend a bit more of what they have felt, and are currently feeling.  And I've thought about what the gospel could do for the members of the family to the man afflicted in the hospital...I knew that the gospel made me happy, and others, before my mission, but this week increased my desire to share it perhaps more than anything has up to this point.  I'm so happy to be serving a mission now to bring this message, and this pure, eternal joy, to people.  I wish I had realized this earlier, and that I had made more of an effort to try and share this message throughout stages such as high school.  I did my best to help others be happy--not being close to perfect at it--but often did I fail to remember that the gospel is the greatest source of any lasting happiness.  Which brings me to one of my favorite mission-related scriptures from the Book of Mormon, in Alma 26:30:

"And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some."

And that is really what I'm here to do.

Love you guys.  Hold down the fort for me in Idaho and Utah.


Elder Wallentine

No comments:

Post a Comment