Monday, September 19, 2016

Hey everyone!

I GOT ANOTHER NIECE?  I've been out for two and a half months and already have one new niece and nephew waiting at home for me.  Crazy stuff.  My family is probably going to double in size by the time I actually get back.  Anyways, tell little Wyatt Wallentine and Lilianna Whitten that Uncle Tyler / TyTy says hi.  They'll know what that means.

Anyways, it's been a good week!  We were able to get quite a bit done!  Actually, I don't know if I've shared this in the last email--I'm pretty sure I did--but an investigator named Louis that we have has
agreed to be baptized in November!  It's a little tentative, but we met with him again this week and I think he's been getting a lot more excited about baptism.  I'm hoping that he stays strong.  He has said
that he really does know that the church is true, and we're just waiting for him to be able to come to church, starting in October.  If he has a good experience, he says he will get baptized.

In addition, we've gained two new investigators.  One, as a matter of fact, is also named Louis.  But it's pronounced Loo-ees, and not loo-iss, so that distinction helps us.  I'll call him Louis 2 in the emails.  Anyways, he came to church on Sunday, and thought it was really cool.  We've scheduled a visit with him, loosely, for next Saturday.  However, he says his work schedule is unclear and the appointment could change.  The second one we gained is a lady from Syria that we met on the street right before church started, and we decided to invite her.  We did, and she accepted.  She loved it and we set a date to meet on Saturday!  I'm very excited for all that could, or hopefully WILL, be happening!  Miracles happen with people every day!

This has been an awesome, and very interesting, week for food.  You will be ecstatic to hear that I was finally able to have a Döner on Monday.  And it was awesome.  Also, I could have been blinded by fasting hunger then from a Monday fast so ALL THE BETTER.  Following that, on Thursday, my district decided to formally welcome me to the district (basically at the end of the first transfer) and brought me to a curry wurst stand (curry wurst = bratwurst chopped up with spicy curry sauce served with fries)  We got what they call a Sharfe-D, which means Spicy, and then a letter D out of a D-A rating scale, D being the spiciest available.   I am fairly certain that there is a hole burnt through my stomach now.  But, I did it.  With minimal tears shed.  I'll share some pictures from it below.  We also got fed a ton from members.  We had Schnitzel Wednesday with a family in our ward. That was good.  And one of the older ladies in the ward has been giving us food almost every day.  She's taking care of us well. Throughout it all, I continue to miraculously lose the weight that I gained in the MTC.  I love metabolism.

For P-Day today, we went to Köln/Cologne.  That was the funniest P-Day I've had yet.  We visited the massive Köln Dome, and got to walk to the top.  The spiral stair case we went up was quite the experience. I got pretty dizzy but we all made it up and down alive!  Then we went into the town nearby and walked around for a bit.  Super cool part of Germany!

Anyways, real quick, I was reading in 2 Nephi this morning and came across the following in chapter 4:

34 O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.

35 Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen.

I think that one of the most important things that we can do throughout our lives is learning to put our whole trust in the Lord, in every aspect of our existences.  We may not always be inclined to comprehend difficult circumstances, and why or how such circumstances will bless us.  We may harden our hearts, try to force ourselves out, or cause ourselves to believe that we are cursed or abandoned.  But humility comes in those seemingly dire circumstances where we feel downtrodden.  It is then when we should remember what the gospel has, can, and will do for us if we simply shift our attention to the great things God has given us, show gratitude, and then plead for His help as we continue to do the best we can.  I have had a few moments on my mission so far where I have felt inadequate, weak, or so forth, but each moment has served as a stark reminder of what Heavenly Father is willing to do for us, so long as we have the faith to allow him.  My life is still significantly easier, I feel, than the lives of many that I encounter on the streets here, or many of you at home, but we all have challenges, or will have them, regardless, and God cares about all of us. He will bless all of us, if we show him our reliance and faith in him, whether we are burdened with problems great or small.  We need to show him that.  I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had so far to turn to Him, and notice His hand more and more in my life!  I love you guys.  I hope you're all doing great!

Love,
Elder Wallentine

PS Forgot to add picture of me with Elder Clements and Elder Stiles. Included now in this batch of photos. Photo proof that I am, in fact, here.











No comments:

Post a Comment