Thursday, May 31, 2018

The Thrilling Two-Part Season to My Life Finale: Part 2: Peace

Servus!

Well folks, we made it. The past week has been suspiciously normal. We've just been finding a lot and working with the investigators we've had. A few fell off the face of the earth after experiencing difficulties with the commandments, but we are going strong. It's been a good week! A long, long week, but a good one.

I can't believe that I am concluding my mission with this email. This seems unreal and I honestly have always been somewhat skeptical of my ability to endure to the end. But, nevertheless, I have, having grown through all the challenges and annoyances and repetition, and I am happy.

I am happy that I didn't waste my time out here. I am happy that I didn't waste my money or my parent's out here. I hope we all find solace together in the knowledge that I used my time to the fullest.

As with all things in life, there will always be things that you could have done better in hindsight. I should have been more bold in my second and third transfers. I should have had more patience in my fourth. I should have sought charity and confidence more in my fifth. I should have slowed down a bit in my sixth. I should have been more aware in my seventh. I should have been less trunky in my eighth and ninth. I should have been more humble in my tenth, and eleventh. I should have made more goals and plans in my twelfth and thirteenth. I should have sought after ways through which I could have helped people in my fourteenth and fifteenth. I should have enjoyed the culture more in my sixteenth.

But, on the other hand, as I have realized through the months the things upon which I should improve, I have received great joy out of seeing myself develop. I feel that I am more bold, patient, charitable, confident, easygoing, aware, focused, humble, goal/oriented, and helpful than I was when I started. I don't mean to say that I am perfect at any of these things, nor do I even mean that I exemplify them, but I have developed them more from what they have been previously.

I told President Boyer in my Leaver's Interview this week that I hope to have grown in love towards others. I don't think I was really good back home at taking deeper interest in people's lives. But, as I have said so far, we acknowledge our failures and faults and we move forward.

I consider myself a successful missionary. I've given it my best to be exactly obedient. I've worked my heart out, and my shoes are physical evidence of that. I have tried to love and have loved the people here with all my heart. The Germans are one of the most respectable groups and cultures of people that have graced this earth. I am going to miss their diligence, honesty, integrity, and commitment. There's a reason why German engineering is world-famous, because they take pride into the things they are good at and they excel with it. They can be stubborn, yes, but we all are stubborn in our own ways. Let's be honest, who does have an easy time changing their life to be more perfect?

I love my Savior. He is my Leader and He is my Redeemer. I believe in Christ, because He has ransomed me, and He has set me free from Satan's grasp. He is the source of truth and light! I love my mission for the knowledge it has given me about that.

Though I have been a successful missionary, I don't think it will count for much if I don't keep going after my mission. Walt Disney, a historical rolemodel for me as many of you know, had the motto: Keep Moving Forward! It is also emphasized by my favorite animated film, Meet the Robinsons.

LET IT GO.
LET IT ROLL RIGHT OFF YOUR SHOULDERS.
DON'T YOU KNOW?
THE HARDEST PART IS OVER: (I bet life will get harder, actually, but we will see)
SO, LET IT IN!
LET YOUR TROUBLES FALL BEHIND YOU
LET 'EM FLY.
IT'S THE HEART THAT REALLY MATTERS IN THE END.
OUR LIVES ARE MADE.
FROM THESE SMALL HOURS.
THESE LITTLE MOMENTS.
THESE TWISTS AND TURNS OF FAITH.
TIME FOR SOME RAIN.
IN THESE SMALL HOURS.
THESE SMALL HOURS.
STILL IN ME.

I have forgotten most of the lyrics but that's my rough memory of them. Fitting, eh?

Let us all build our lives from the most important principles together! Let's truly live the gospel! The blessings are rich which are in store!

I will see you soon!

Unless you're on a mission, then I will see you anywhere between 1-24 months!

Love,

Elder Wallentine


No comments:

Post a Comment