Thursday, April 5, 2018

Update

This week's been great! We had 9 people visit general conference! It was sweet! The zone improved its progress towards the goal of having 30 people at church--we had 19 last week. But we need to lengthen our strides still if we are to reach 30 anytime soon.

Unfortunately, none of the 3 of our baptismal dates have made it to church yet. However, I'm optimistic they will be able to come this week! We will see. 

General conference was intense. Also, general conference used to be in tents, you know? When the saints had arrived in the Salt Lake Valley? And also don't forget the King Benjamin Conference. That was also in tents. We don't have in-tents conferences anymore, but they are intense. 

I have to be honest, I was pretty disappointed that the Independence Temple wasn't announced. I thought that was what all the fuss beforehand was about. But there is always next conference!

I don't feel like writing much today, and that which I do desire to write is, as the Germans say, Quatsch. I lost my iPad and I've spent the morning retracing my steps. We will see if I find it. I think it's most likely in the church.

I think, though, that some of my favourite talks were Elder Holland's about Ministering, Elder Bednar's in meekness, and President Nelson's about revelation. I find it interesting how President Nelson has said that the guidance of the Holy Ghost is essential to our spiritual survival. Puts some fire under your feet to be able to receive revelation, eh? I've been drawn to seek it out greater since, and have since had a great day of success because of following a prompting. Here's what happened:

We were running to catch a bus when I saw a man poke his head out of a Döner shop. Trying to follow a tendency and goal that I have sought to develop on my mission of saying "hello!" and/or smiling to as many people as possible, I shouted an exasperated "HALLO!" to him as I ran by. I kept running but had a sinking feeling in my stomach, asking me why I had let the chance to by to talk to him. I shouted ahead to my companion:
"Oh shoo-hoot! I'm getting a prompting!" 
We stopped in our tracks, turned around, and spoke to the man. He barely spoke German and called over his "German-speaking" co-worker, who, after listening for a solid five seconds, called his other co-worker who spoke German, who then called another one over. So we have four guys, and thank goodness, the last one can speak English. We tell them what is up, meanwhile two homeless people with dogs walk up, start talking to my companion, order a Döner, and then leave as I receive the number of the Döner dude. We get on the next bus, and an African man shouts at me about how the Book of Mormon is in no way in line with the teachings of the Bible. We talk, his points are gradually answered, and he says he has interest. Then, we arrive to our finding destination. We had planned to go knock some doors, but we never reached them before it was time to go because every person I talked to had interest for a conversation and wanted to talk later. 

All perhaps because of that initial prompting! Otherwise each person would have perhaps been away from the paths we had in mind if we had been there any earlier. 

Thanks for the love and support! 

Love,

Elder Wallentine 


No comments:

Post a Comment