Thursday, March 9, 2017

Foofoo

Hey guys!

It's been another great week in the good old Bayreuth Battlefield!  We've been continuing to work hard with trying to find new investigators and have been finding as many as we can.  Our pool of people has been growing and we've found a couple of new investigators this week.  Bravedo is out of town, but we have just finished teaching him everything up through Laws and Ordinances, which means we will be trying to schedule the baptismal interview with him for this next week.  I'm praying and hoping that things with that go well.  If they do, we will be having a baptism on the 18th.  I'm worried a bit generally, but also confident that he is ready and repentant--he just needs to recognize that.  Keep him in your prayers!

Training is going well.  One note is that there is probably nothing so far in my mission that has opened my eyes more up to things I need to work on than this, which is very interesting.  My focus of development for the next little while is going to be on patience and humility--haha, both things that take a lifetime to develop.  But anywho, training is a very awesome experience and even though it can be difficult in its own unique ways, it is a blessing to be able to and I'm grateful for that.  ALSO, shoutout to my awesome trainer, Elder Warner, back in the day.

One thing that I have realized is that I have neglected to mention a lot of things about the culture here--probably one of the only things people actually want to read about.  I apologize for that, and so this week will be a special week.  I shall now make a brief account of some major points and events that have happened here in the past...--well, mission.

-I eat Bratwurst on an almost daily basis.  That is, I have been, until I have recently acknowledged perhaps out absolutely unhealthy that is.  So I have been mixing it up a little.  However, it may be too late for me.  We will see.  There are many types of Bratwurst in this land.  White ones, grayish ones, brown ones, blue ones, red ones, some as big as your head, some that walk, some that talk, some that fly and some that cry.  No, but seriously, there are a lot.  Some of my favorites are called weisswursts, which are very popular in Bavaria.  Haven't had some since Christmas, but eh.

-This isn't necessarily German culture, but I haven't had fufu/foofoo since my first transfer.  Fufu is an African dish, which is (don't know how to explain it exactly) basically just very thick mashed potatoes with usually an array of meats and other things found in the fridge in the moment, including the occasional cow tongue from what I hear.  It is also spicy.  I look forward to the day of eating it again...minus cow tongue.  I SWEAR, it tastes better than it sounds, if it's done right that is. I am not pulling out a very compelling argument but you gotta bear with me.

-The German language is my favorite.
-Sauerkraut is good here
-Mustard is actually good here
-Kellogg's cereal is mediocre here.

-The people here are awesome and often times interesting.  I could take 5 emails explaining the experiences I have with that but I will save that for someday when I get home.  But the young people we encounter especially are often times super nice and cool and I love speaking with people about in my age group about the gospel because I feel they are that much more receptive.
Okay.  I have to admit.  Perhaps that hasn't highlighted the culture as much as I would like.  I will try to share stuff now on for a week to week basis concerning the culture here.

I hit Leviticus last night in the Old Testament.  The reading so far has been very interesting.  I am focusing primarily on symbolism throughout it for Christ and His Gospel, and there is a lot of awesome symbolism that we read about in Exodus about the tabernacle.  But any who, I have also learned from reading the Bible that, although it is a wonderful testament for Christ, the purity and simplicity of the Book of Mormon is simply powerful and I know that the Book of Mormon has been brought to the world in these times so that it can strengthen our faith in Him, even in discouraging periods of time where many lose their faith.  It is a light and source of strength so that our hearts will not fail us in these times.

This is all I feel like writing for now!  Have a great week!  I will work hard FOR YOU GUYS.  Best regards to the friends and family back home!

Love,
Elder Wallentine 








No comments:

Post a Comment