Thursday, November 24, 2016

A letter Elder Wallentine typed on a typewriter and mailed : )

Hello dearest family,

I am far from home at this time of year. Indeed, it is a rather distant journey from our hearth of Idaho to this strange land of wispy winds and men who eat of the swine. It is also cold, and I find myself looking out the windows here oft, into the cripplingly frigid late Autumn sky. I find myself thinking about all the fond memories of our home quite often before realizing that it, perhaps, is a bit of a futile effort for me to console myself through the memories of a home far away. Nonetheless, I maintain you in my thoughts, and am sending you this telegraph from far across the sea. I hope that this makes it safely to your abode, that you may perhaps gain word that I am (quite) alive and well--still, that is.

I do ask myself as my fingers type carefully on this witchy machine, if it is reliable to type and send a letter such as this in an era of magical computer technologies of wizardry and curious contraptions. I must be prudent in the manner of which I type and the importance of what I type, for I do not trust the Deutsche Post man to deliver this letter all safely to you, nor do I trust myself to type this letter with minimal flaws of mistyping, as I have assumed you have already noticed thus far. Please be forgiving of any erors that I make in my epistle to you. That is, once more, assuming that you have successfully received this telegram from the mysterious Deutsche Post man. But never mind that, as you are clearly reading this now. I simply am writing you all to adroitly express my happy biddings to you on the morn of this peculiar holiday season. I will have likely already wished such biddings in the much more efficient and reliable medium of Google Mail, which I hope that you have heretofore appreciated, as I have greatly enjoyed your words sent to me as well.

This letter, I will note, is not written with any form of clearly ostentatious glamour, as I see typing on a machine such as this in these modern times should be done with a mind towards only the most important and special occasions. If there is an air of this detected in wake of my letter, please continue reading with minimal demur. I hope that it does not come off this way for it is already costly enough for me to trust this Deutsche Post man to safely deliver this epistle safely. I write this with only the utmost of propriety as is expected of English (speaking) men who write on typewriters.

As I was saying. These few months have been a pleasant time of my life. That is, notwithstanding the many afflictions and trials I have already had to bear. I say that with some air of light-heartedness, as things have seemed to be going quite smoothly as of yet. It has been hard at some days and weeks, but not harder than I have been able to bear. And the goodness that comes from such even somewhat challenging experiences more than makes up for it. I simply hope that things continue to get better, and that these remaining 18-20 months will be an increased blessing. I am confident that you have already heard enough about my advertures through previous letters sent in the weeks until this time. And so, I will not waste this special epistle on things that you are likely already aware of. But, as I finish typing this, I have have come to the conlcusion that I have not known what my purpose or design in writing to you all was, save it be the intention of wishing you all a happy "Thanksgiving" (which does not exist here and for the time being I must force myself to forget in a vain effort to console myself), and a happy and very Merry Christmas. Also, Christmas here is titled the "Holy Nights", or "Weihnachten", and  apparently lasts for three days. And so, even though we may not be able to celebrate the Fourth of July, or Thanksgiving, for example, perhaps this is of some consolation.

I am afraid I got myself off track once more. With my whole heart, I wish you, the Wallentine Family and Co., again, a happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas. Perhaps some day I will return and be able to spend these special times with you again. But for now, I am occupied with trying to preach the gospel and help those who stand in need of help, which I am confident you guys are already being valiant in this endeavor at home.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Elder Tyler Wallentine


No comments:

Post a Comment