Monday, October 17, 2016

Hey friends and family!

This week was a little crazy!  It's been awesome, though.  We've hit the highest investigator lesson mark that I've had since I've gotten here, and so I feel that it has been a quite productive week.  Much of those lessons have been with the same investigators, since we're trying to either solidify those baptismal dates we have, or establish new ones.

One of the investigators we met with was a man named Kofi.  Kofi is a pretty cool guy.  He comes from Nigeria, and actually approached us on the street a few weeks ago while we were talking with another man (who wasn't interested).  He walked up to me and asked "hey brother, would you like to talk about the Word of God with me?"  We accepted after the other man shoo'd us away, and then we talked with Kofi for about thirty minutes about his and our beliefs on a bench.  We've met with him about three times since then, but he always unexpectedly cuts us off and has to leave early.  He's very interested in our message, I believe, and a baptismal date is likely.  We will be trying to establish one with him the next time we meet.  He's a great guy.

We focused a ton on meeting with Kingsley this week, following up in commitments and solidifying our baptismal date for him.  He's been doing rather well with reading the Book of Mormon, and he's enjoying it quite a bit I believe.  Unfortunately, our original baptismal date will likely have to be pushed back.  He wasn't able to meet with us at church this week, and he will be gone two Sundays from now as well.  He's still open to baptism, but we simply need a little more time to set a firm date.

We also met with Louis again this week!  We taught him about forgiveness and repentance, and that was a really awesome lesson.  We learned a few unfortunate things though.  He told us he wasn't going to be able to come with past Sunday to church, and that at the end of November, he would be moving back to Cameroon.  We've had to push back his baptismal date because we're having difficulties getting him to church.  He, like Kingsley, still wants to get baptized, though.  We're working in that with him, and we're hoping that we can get him baptized before he leaves.  We've located a branch near his home in Cameroon, and have made a plan with him to see that he continues to progress in his conversion following his move.

We've spoken more with Maria, from Serbia, yesterday, as well.  She will be moving back to Serbia in a week, actually, and we will not be able to continue teaching her (naturally).  
She says that she really believes the Book of Mormon to be true, though.  Sister Plattner, the sweet old lady in the ward I mentioned last week, has been a rockstar with helping Maria gain a testimony and has spent a bunch of time talking with her about the gospel.  We've found a branch near Maria's' home as well, and are coordinating with the missionaries in Serbia to keep Malaria in touch with the gospel.  I hope that the transition with her goes very smoothly and that she will be baptized!

A few weeks ago, I also contacted a woman named Joy at the train station.  We learned that she lives in Essen, outside of our area, and we transferred her contact information to our Essen Elders.  They got in contact with her, and her family was super excited to hear about the gospel and they have ended up with a baptismal date!  They sound quite confident about it from what I have heard, too.  Really hoping this works out!

Anywho.  It was a busy but great week.  It came to an end on Sunday.  We came to church, sat down, and began Sacrament Meeting.  After the Sacrament was administered, I got out my notebook to write down what the soon to speak speakers would say, to see if I could understand them.  The bishop walks up and says:

"Guten Morgen, lieber Geschwistern. (*Ill just translate the rest*).  Today we will be hearing from a few speakers.  We will start by hearing from ELDER WALLENTINE."

I then hear my heart triple in pace.  I try to rationalize myself out of the situation, first thinking that I certainly WASN'T asked to give a talk.  But wait.  I was.  I frantically pull out a piece of paper that they gave me the previous week, and saw the word "Opfer" on it.  Good enough.  It means "sacrifice".  I stand up from my seat and slowly make my way to the stand, doing my best to put on a smile through the confusion in my mind.  My companion is nervously laughing on my behalf when I finally face the congregation.  

"......Hallo."

I proceeded to do my absolute best to act like I totally prepared the talk.  I shared D&C 58:1-5 and I think that people understood at least a bit of what I was saying.  I think I got my nervous trembling under control...although people did tell me I said "um" a bunch and that is true.  I barely survived.  Otherwise, church was really great.  I think that it was the first time where I really felt that I understood what was going on for the majority of the time.  Except third hour.  Priesthood meeting is always much harder to understand because people speak a lot more quietly, quickly, and specifically about whatever the topics may be.  But it was overall a good Sunday.

I've also finished memorizing the list of 2000 German words, which means that I can supposedly understand 80% of words in regular German conversation.  I've begun to memorize an additional set of 2000, and when I complete that, I should be able to understand about 95-98% of German conversations.  As soon as that is done, which it should be by around Mid-December at the latest, I'm planning to hit grammar and pronunciation the hardest.  

Anyways...Sometimes my head gets really numb.

Anyways, I've had a wonderful as well as chilling Book of Mormon study throughout this week.  I've been reading it alongside the institute manual and there was a part in Mormon that struck me.  It states in Mormon chapter 2 verse 15 that the "day of grace was passed" for the Nephites.  I saw in the manual a detailed elaboration by Elder Holland, who said:  

"It is at this moment in Nephite history--just under 950 years since it had begun and just over 300 years since they had been visited by the Son of God himself--that Mormon realized the story was finished. In perhaps the most chilling line he ever wrote, Mormon asserted simply, ‘I saw that the day of grace was passed with them, both temporally and spiritually.’ His people had learned that most fateful of all lessons--that the Spirit of God will not always strive with man; that it is possible, collectively as well as individually, to have time run out. The day of repentance can pass, and it had passed for the Nephites. Their numbers were being ‘hewn down in open rebellion against their God,’ and in a metaphor almost too vivid in its moral commentary, they were being ‘heaped up as dung upon the face of the land'".  Even though this scripture speaks of the Nephites specifically, it's important to wonder why this part was added for us, with the knowledge that the Book of Mormon has been written for us in these days.  God is patient with us.  He's perfectly patient, in fact.  But we cannot allow ourselves to try and take advantage of that by prolonging our repentance and strive for good in our lives.  I won't write too much about this though.  Elder Holland covered it perfectly.

Anyways.  It's been a great week!  Thank you for your prayers and your support!  Love you all.

Love,


Elder Wallentine




No comments:

Post a Comment