Saturday, July 30, 2016

Guten Tag, Familien und Freunde!

I'm going to try and keep this letter shorter and more positive, so here I go!

This has been a better week!  My "reign" as District Leader was kaputt
as of this last Sunday since we're halfway through the MTC, and I
think since then, the heat has been taken off of me from people in the
district.  I'm not as much of a bad-guy anymore, and that is also
attributed greatly to the other Elders' efforts in getting control of
behavior in the class.  So it's been much better in terms of that.

I've been making good progress with German...I think.  My vocabulary
has been increasing quite a bit and there have been several times this
week where I've been able to comfortably carry out discussions and
conversations in German with few trip-ups.  That being said, I've had
my (overly) fair share of trip-ups and really need to work on street
and conversational German, and probably biggest of all, I'm still
trying to learn and struggling a bit with the cases.  When it comes to
writing, I'm okay at them, but with speaking it's going to have to
take a lot of getting used to.  But overall, it's going well...I won't
be thinking this when I get to Germany, though, haha!

My gospel study is going really well, too!  I've been reading a ton of
the Book of Mormon and am about to finish Alma.  I love reading and
studying about the conversion of the people, and how blessed and happy
they consistently become when they come unto Christ, having the
feeling of eternal peace.  One of my favorite chapters is chapter 36,
when Alma is counseling his son, Helaman, and speaks of his own
repentance and conversion and the process that he had in becoming
truly converted.  It's an awesome chapter.  I'd paste it all but I'm
again trying to keep this letter shorter...haha!

I've also heard from some of my teachers that there have been a few
terrorist attacks in Germany in the time that I've been in the MTC.  I
think there have been two in Munich and one in Frankfurt, right?  And
have there been any more in France?

Whatever it may be, this is going to be a crucial time for us to go to
Germany.  I feel that this is going to be a very powerful time for the
faith over there.  People in this world are panicked.  Many live in
fear of the threats that face them, whether it be terrorism, disease,
or any other pain both internal and external.  There are going to be
people who see these attacks and ask why God would allow such
tragedies to happen.  But through this distress, I know that they will
be prepared to hear the glorious and beautiful message that the gospel
has to offer.  This is a gospel of hope and love and peace.  Whether
they be native Germans or refugees coming, the hearts of the people
are going to be softened and opened up to our message.  I know it!  I
can't wait to see the hope and faith and charity that this gospel will
bring to not only Germany, but all of Europe!

In two and a half weeks, I will be departing to be but a small hand in
the great work that is about to unfold there.  I can't wait!  It's
going to be hard and humbling but I know now that people, desperately,
need the blessings of this gospel.  This gospel has given me more hope
and happiness than any other source has or will ever be able to.  I
know that God  and Jesus Christ love us and that they are at the helm
of this work.  I know that we will be protected.

I love you all!  I miss you!

Love,
Elder Wallentine




No comments:

Post a Comment